Did you know that March is National DD Awareness Month? National Developmental Disabilities (DD) Awareness Month officially began in 1987 with a proclamation from President Reagan to help bring awareness and acceptance for people of every ability. Since then, families, self-advocates, advocacy groups and Ohio’s County Boards have been working to increase opportunities for people with disabilities. But there’s still more progress to be made!
Summit DD plays a vital role in the lives of more than 4,700 people and families in Summit County. We take our role seriously and strive to make meaningful connections for each child and adult with developmental disabilities in our community.
It starts with families who have young children. We connect little ones to the support they need to reach their full potential. Our team of early childhood professionals is there to assist families every step of the way with their child’s learning and development. But it doesn’t stop there.
Summit DD coordinates the essential services that people of all ages rely on to reach their goals. We listen, identify outcomes and then connect people to the support that will help them work toward their goals.
For some, having a job in their community is a priority. Summit DD works with adults to connect them to the support they need to succeed on the job. We work with our community partners to assist people with identifying, developing and retaining job skills that set them up for success in the workforce.
Others might have goals to live independently. We work with people to connect them to the support they need to be independent in their homes and communities so they can live their lives to the fullest.
Whether it’s for your family, in your workplace or in your neighborhood, Summit DD is working hard to make those meaningful connections for those we serve … one person at a time.
This March, join us to help empower others! Share stories and participate in inclusive activities. Be part of the change we need to create truly inclusive communities.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Participate in one of our events:
- 3/2/19: BLAST Bowling
- 3/5/19: Celebrate inclusion with the Akron ZIPs (Purchase discounted tickets with the code SummitDD)
- 3/15/19: Inclusioneers Adapt-A-Car Event
- 3/16/19: Inclusion Day
- 3/21/19: Family Success Night at CFHS
- 3/21/19: BLAST Night at the Movies
- 3/23/19: Northern Summit Youth Transition Fair
- 3/27/19: Summit DD Appreciation Breakfast
- 3/28/19: March Board Meeting
Get involved online
- Read and share empowering articles from our blog.
- Join the conversation on our Twitter or Facebook page and share information with your friends and family.
- Sign up for our eNewsletter informDD to be a leader of change here in the greater Akron area! (Just scroll to the bottom of the page and sign up in the blue footer.)
Be Part of the Change
We are committed to helping people reach their full potential through meaningful connections, but we need your help to make lasting progress. This March, ask yourself if you are doing all you can to make your community welcoming for people of every ability. Help us celebrate DD Awareness Month and keep moving Summit County forward for all of its citizens.