The greater Akron area is thriving! It provides an ideal living and working environment for just about everyone. Known for innovation, top notch higher education, and cultural diversity, its leaders are invested in economic development and job growth.
The Area Resource for Developmental Disabilities
Summit County Developmental Disabilities Board, or Summit DD, is the area resource that connects more for more than 4,000 children and adults with disabilities to right-fit resources throughout their lifetime. We engage the region’s business, religious, education, advocacy, and government leaders in conversations to help the community flourish for all residents, regardless of ability.
Summit DD firmly believes that people should be treated equally. That everyone deserves the opportunity to set goals and reach for their dreams. And we are convinced that all communities are richer when they welcome everyone. This March, we invite you to join us in celebrating people of all abilities during National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month (DD Awareness Month). All over the county – on billboards, online, in the paper – you’ll find messages of empowerment and people leading amazing lives. Please share these messages with others! Here are some additional ideas to help celebrate DD Awareness Month:
Celebrate DD Awareness Month
Participate in one of our events:
- Facebook photo contest: Submit a photo (March 1-14) or vote (March 22-28) during our “Best Part of Your Day” Facebook photo contest to celebrate all kinds of abilities.
- Advocacy Day: Come listen to what self-advocates have to say about advocacy – in their own words – on March 3rd.
- Parent Mentor Discussion: On March 10th, meet and learn from other parents as they talk about important transitions and lessons learned along the way.
- RePlay for Kids Workshops: Join us for a FREE hands-on workshop as you learn to adapt your toy – making it accessible for your child. Great for parents, therapists and caregivers. Call to register for one of two dates available, March 24th and March 25th.
- Dream Out Loud Art Show Reception: Looking to quench your creative side? Stop by the Mustard Seed Market in West Akron on March 26th for an art reception.
Get involved online
- Read and share stories about greatness, like Henry, inclusive kids, like Ethan and Rachel, and communities that embrace the superstars all abilities among them, like Kenny! You can find these stories and more on our blog
- Post a video from our YouTube channel to your Facebook page to dispel myths about people with disabilities.
- Join the conversation on Twitter or our Facebook page. #DDAware
- Sign up for our eNewletter informDD to be a leader of change here in the greater Akron area!
Be Part of the Change
Summit DD is the greater Akron area resource that connects people with developmental disabilities to resources, supports and opportunities. This March, ask yourself if you are doing all you can to make your communities welcoming for all. Join us in celebrating people of all abilities. Help us put Summit County on the map for inclusion!