March DD Awareness Month will be here before we know it. We’re looking forward to another March full of activities, events and spotlights to bring people together and make Summit County a place where everyone feels included.
Help us make our community more inclusive for people of every ability by joining our month-long celebration. Need ideas? Check these out:
- 3/6/23 Inclusion Day (Click for details) Help us paint the county ORANGE to kick off DD Awareness Month and promote community inclusion.
- 3/4/23-3/6/23 Inclusion Day(s) at the Zoo Join Summit DD and the Akron Zoo for some good, inclusive …FREE fun! Did we mention it’s on us??
- 3/30/23 Appreciation Breakfast and Awards Celebration Join us as we honor everyday heroes who continue to make a difference in our community
Download the 2023 Appreciation Breakfast reservation form
- 3/1/23 – 3/31/23: Celebration of Appreciation Award Winners Check out our Facebook page all month long to meet local inclusion champions and see how they are changing perceptions in our community.
- 3/1/23 – 3/31/23 DIY: Visit our website for downloadable profile badges, stickers, and posters
National Disability Awareness Month History
National Developmental Disabilities (DD) Awareness Month officially began in 1987 with a proclamation from President Reagan to help bring awareness and acceptance for people of every ability. Since then, families, self-advocates, advocacy groups and Ohio’s County Boards have been working to increase opportunities for people with disabilities. But there’s still more progress to be made.
We are committed to helping people reach their full potential. But we need your help to make lasting progress. This March, ask yourself if you are doing all you can to make your community welcoming for people of every ability.