Summit County Developmental Disabilities Board (Summit DD) envisions a community built by the abilities of ALL citizens. March is Developmental Disabilities (DD) Awareness Month and we encourage you to celebrate inclusion throughout our great community.
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016, we invite businesses, schools, child care centers, agencies and people throughout Summit County to celebrate our inaugural Inclusion Pride Day. Inclusion Pride Day is all about spreading the message of inclusion and showing support for people of all abilities. Join us by wearing orange on this day to show your support!
Inclusion is about sharing experiences so don’t forget to share photos of you and your school, staff, co-workers and friends wearing orange and how you are celebrating inclusion with us. Tag us on Facebook and Twitter, and don’t forget to use #IncludeME with all your posts. We want to see your Inclusion Pride!
Along with wearing orange, we have complied a list of activities, books and sample social media posts, as well as downloadable materials, so you can show your support and spread the message of inclusion!
- Read a book about disabilities to your classroom/group
- Hang a poster with the Summit DD logo in your window to express your support of Inclusion Pride Day
- Share lunch time with someone with a disability
- Schedule an activity that includes all
- Hold a building wide contest as to why inclusion is important
- Title: Andy and His Yellow Frisbee
Author: Mary Thompson
- Title: Keith Edward’s Different Days
Author: Karen Melberg Schwier
- Title: We Can Do It!
Author: Laura Dwight
- Title: My Friend Ben
Author: Wanda Gilberts Kachur
- Title: Best Friends
Author: Hope Benton
Social Media Posts
- We support inclusion! Wear orange March 16 for Inclusion Pride Day with Summit DD. #IncludeME
- Our community is stronger when everyone is included! We are celebrating Inclusion Pride Day with Summit DD on March 16! #IncludeME
- Are you wearing orange today? We are! Celebrate inclusion with us and Summit DD! #IncludeME
We have downloadable materials for you to use at the bottom of this post. We’ve got things like: a five tips to celebrate inclusion poster, #IncludeME signs, printable stickers and an Inclusion Pride Day social media profile picture to swap out your picture with for the day.
Because of your continued support, we are able to build an inclusive community together. Let’s turn Summit County orange and spread the message inclusion on March 16. Thank you for celebrating inclusion with Summit DD!
For questions, please contact PR@SummitDD.org. Looking for inclusive events and ways to celebrate DD Awareness Month? Check out our online events calendar at SummitDD.org/Events.