Summit DD’s Eat Safe campaign is designed to educate, support and help implement a safe eating culture for those with developmental disabilities in Summit County who are at risk for eating/swallowing difficulties. Research indicates that individuals with developmental disabilities are up to 3 times more likely than those in the general population to experience trouble eating/swallowing and die from respiratory disease (Tyler, et al. 2007).
The mission of our Eat Safe campaign is to inform and educate the individuals we serve, their families and caregivers, to help ensure their safety and enjoyment while eating and drinking. Please explore the information below, including an introduction to our team, an Eat Safe educational video that covers common and universal eating strategies, plus a list of helpful resources and links.
Summit DD Eat Safe Training Video
Additional Links & Resources
- Recipe Ideas from Patty & Patrice: Curated quick recipes.
- Dining With Dysphagia Cookbook: For helpful and quick recipes.
- Beyond the Blender Dysphagia Cookbook: Another helpful recipe resource.
- International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) Website: A global initiative to improve the lives of over 590 million people worldwide living with Dysphagia. IDDSI has a wide selection of resources including this handy IDDSI framework and definitions of dietary/liquid levels for quick reference.
- Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities Health & Wellness Alert regarding choking.