Summit DD is proud to be part of the ReelAbilities Film Festival again! This film festival promotes awareness of the lives, stories, and artistic expressions of people with different disabilities and is FREE and open to the public.
Along with our partners, the Akron-Summit County Public Library, The Up Side of Downs of Northeast Ohio, University Circle Inc., and so many more, we are excited to announce this year’s line up of films and activities for the 2022 ReelAbilities Film Festival Cleveland and Akron (RAFF). For more information on ReelAbilities or to see the listing of Cleveland events and showings, please visit the ReelAbilities Cleveland and Akron website.
Films and activities run from August through October. See below for dates times and details.
Thursday, October 6, 6:30 pm
Art & Artist
Main Library, Akron-Summit County Public Library
60 South High Street, Akron
From painting to creating music, on October 6th we put the focus on art. Join us as we celebrate the arts with the return of Look Beyond: An Art Show of All Abilities! Visit the exhibit and a film that shows us that our only limitations are the ones that we create.
- Amazing Grace: Talented young musician and artist Grace Fisher was on her way to the world famous Berklee College of Music. On her 17th birthday, she developed Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM), a rare polio-like disease. Determined to persevere, Grace sets out to find new ways to create art, driven by her philosophy: “My only limitation will be my imagination.” Featuring Justin Hurwitz, Academy Award winning composer of La La Land.
After the film, Look Beyond exhibit artists take the stage for an engaging panel discussion. Hear first-hand experiences from these local artists.
ASL with CART by request
Drop-off is available at the Library’s High Street entrance. Please arrive early to secure parking on the street or within the parking deck located next to the Library. A fee may be charged per arrival time.
Thursday, October 20, 6:30 pm
Date Night @ The Museum
Akron Art Museum
1 South High Street, Akron
Love is in the air — and at the Akron Art Museum! Make a date with your sweetie to join us for four short films that celebrate the joy and complexity of relationships.
- Aimee Victoria: On the day of their anniversary, a couple, separated by lockdown, finds their relationship tested. A story about the power of love in the toughest of times.
- Illustrating Sam Newton: A viral online photographer wants to remain anonymous in order to hide parts of their identity. When a fan from the other side of the world makes a connection, they learn to accept themselves by sharing the universal language of art.
- See Through: Tensions rise between a young Deaf couple discovering they are about to become parents. Featuring 2018 Tony nominee and Eternals star Lauren Ridloff.
- Signs & Gestures: Clara, a blind florist, has been chatting with Simon through a dating app. They arrange to meet in person. However, during their first date, an unexpected misunderstanding arises.
After the screening, the celebration continues with a stroll through the galleries, a creative visit to the Museum’s Art Bar, and locally-made treats in celebration of friends and sweethearts.
ASL with CART by request
Drop-off is available at the Museum’s High Street entrance. Please arrive early to secure parking on the street or within the parking deck located across the street from the Museum. A fee may be charged per arrival time.
ReelAbilities Cleveland and Akron is brought to the area through a collaboration of local organizations and community volunteers, to showcase films and discussions throughout Northeast Ohio. ReelAbilities Film Festival debuted September 2018 in Cleveland. Organizations include:
Akron-Summit County Public Library – Main Branch
60 S. High Street
Akron, OH 44326