The Transition Expo for parents and guardians is back! This year’s expo will be virtual – which means you can get all the same essential information right from the comfort and safety of your own home. Better yet, this year’s format can be experienced on demand, based on your schedule.
The Expo covers the many aspects, choices and decisions families must make during the teen transition years as well as many resources aviable to you and your teen. Discover all the Virtual Transition Expo has to offer!
This year’s virtual Transition Expo covers a range of important topics, such as:
- Transition 101 with Kerry Agins, Esq. (Principal – Agins & Gilman LLC)
- Kerry covers the important topic of the transition process and the importance of a teen’s IEP as teens become adults.
- Guardianship with Magistrate Paula Haas and Judge Stormer
- Magistrate Haas overviews the facts about guardianship.
- Family interviews: Be sure to watch the family interviews with Judge Elinore Marsh Stormer, as they discuss guardianship from a parent’s view. Their discussion ranges from facts on guardianship to a parent/guardian perspective including, first-person insight, concerns, advice and legal considerations.
- Benefits Analysis with Neil Burt (Career Services Manager · Hattie Larlham)
- Find out how employment could impact SSI and other benefits
- Follow along as questions dive deeper into the details. And find out who to contact with questions about your specific situation.
- STABLE Accounts: Nick Hancart (Public Relations Officer at Ohio State Treasurer)
- Get the facts about STABLE accounts: how they work, why they are important, and what the big benefits are for people with disabilities?
- Visit the virtual Vendor Fair. Learn about a variety of local organizations and programs available to support your young adult’s current and future needs
- Interested in gaining additional skills after High School? Check out some of the local post-secondary programs that can prepare your teen for employment
- Visit the resources page to see some of the local programs, camps and groups to support your family’s needs as you navigate the transition years.
The 2021 Northern Summit County Transition Expo is brought to you through a collaboration of partners, such as Summit DD, Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities, State Support Team 8 and Parent Mentors