A month of celebration
What an unbelievable March it’s been! March is Developmental Disabilities Awareness (DD Awareness) Month, a time when we come together to bring awareness to the talents that each person has to offer. This March, people of every ability and from every community came together to celebrate inclusion. See it for yourself in our recap video of the month’s celebrations!
From the advocates and self-advocates who inspired people at our local Advocacy Day event to our friends on Facebook, who shared their Inclusion Pride Day ORANGE on March 16 to our inaugural Appreciation Breakfast and Awards Celebration, where nearly 300 disability advocates, elected officials, government organizations, disability service providers and community leaders gathered to recognized the abilities of all citizens, March 2016 was certainly one to remember. We hate to see it end.
The good news is that this sort of advocacy, awareness and community inclusion can continue all year long! Check out the ideas below to help you continue the celebration all year long!
Attend events and share inspiring stories with friends!
- April 16: Transition Expo
- June 19: Inclusion Day with the Akron RubberDucks
- Check out our family-friendly and inclusive Spring Activity Guide with ideas and some of the great events that our communities have to offer
- Meet Super Joe, an energetic, fun-loving five year old who has a smile that can melt your heart and has yet to meet a challenge he can’t tackle.
- See the world through Jacob‘s eyes. He’s a young man who through his friendships and sense of community makes the world a better place, one person at a time.
- Share Jean‘s story. She’ll tell you that this job found her rather than the other way around!