Matt standing in the kitchen at his workplace

Service Funding

Levy-Funded

In Summit County, our community generously supports funding of services and supports for adults and children with disabilities through a tax levy.  Summit DD’s current levy period runs through 2023. Our tax levy generates funds that Summit DD uses to pay for people’s services combined with a variety of other funding streams. The availability of those funding streams, such as Medicaid State Plan and Medicaid Waivers, differs depending on individual circumstances. Your service coordinator will help you identify which resources may be available to you.

Download your guide to an Individual’s Budget for Services.

Below is a general description of how services are funded. However, we know each family’s circumstances are unique and our services and supports are individualized based on those needs. The first step is always to become eligible for services. Once you are eligible for services, you and your team can determine which services and supports are right for you.

How are Medicaid services funded?

Some services are funded through Medicaid. These services are typically referred to as Waiver services or Waiver programs. Waiver programs, such as residential services, day programs and work or day program transportation, give a great deal of flexibility to individuals to choose their residence and provider. A Waiver is a way that Medicaid can pay for services to keep you in your home, or a home in the community, so you do not have to move to a long-term care facility or nursing home. When Medicaid Waiver funding is available, Summit DD pays for the non-federal match, or approximately 40% of the cost of service using the tax levy funding. The remaining 60% of the Waiver-funded service is paid for by federal funds.

Services are provided only to those individuals who have been determined to be eligible; and eligibility for Medicaid services and Summit DD Board services may be different. While Summit DD determines eligibility for county board services, the Summit County Department of Job and Family Services (DJFS) administers and determines eligibility for Ohio’s Medicaid program. Our Summit DD staff will help you work with DJFS to determine eligibility for Ohio’s Medicaid program, and ensure that Medicaid will pay for the cost of medically-necessary services.

What is a waiting list?

Each County Board of Developmental Disabilities establishes waiting lists when there are not enough resources to meet the needs of everyone requesting service. Changes to Ohio’s Waiting List process were made in early 2019. The changes include a statewide assessment tool to better understand a person’s need for services, and any current or immediate needs. Please contact your service coordinator if your needs or circumstances change.

To learn more about waiting lists, please visit the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities website.

Funding for Children’s Programs

Summit DD and Ohio Early Intervention work together to complete assessments and evaluations of children who are referred with a suspected delay or disability. When Summit DD is selected as the early intervention service provider, our staff will work with your family (using an evidence-based coaching model) to help address your child’s individual needs, at no cost to your family. Summit DD’s Early Intervention program is funded through the local tax dollars of our levy.

Funding for School-Age Programs

Each local school district is responsible for providing a free, appropriate public education to children with disabilities from the age of 3 through the end of the 21st year who are residents of the school district.  This includes providing, at no cost, related services which are necessary for a child to benefit from his or her instructional program. Related services can include such things as psychological or counseling services, nursing services, and intervention plans.  Summit DD service coordinators are here to help assist you with your local school district.

Where Do I Go for Help?

Funding can be overwhelming, but we are here to help. We will listen to your unique challenges and connect you to the resources to achieve your goals. We understand the complexities of the funding equation and will break it down for you based on your unique circumstance. Take a stroll through our Quick Start Guide to learn how Summit DD supports people of all ages. And of course, you can always reach out to your service coordinator with questions specific to your situation.

Still have questions? Check out our FAQs or Contact Us.

© Summit County Developmental Disabilities Board