Thank you Summit County! Last fall you renewed Summit DD’s levy that funds services for more than 4,700 kids and adults with developmental disabilities. We heard your overwhelming support for inclusive opportunities, programs and services for people with disabilities in our community. We’re excited to continue to foster new opportunities. And it all starts with plans to celebrate DD Awareness Month this March. Will you join us?
The History of DD Awareness Month
National Developmental Disabilities (DD) Awareness Month officially began in 1987 with a proclamation from President Reagan to help bring awareness and acceptance for people of every ability. Since then, we’ve seen in increase in opportunities for people with disabilities, but there is still more progress to be made! March DD Awareness month is a time that you can help empower others through sharing stories, participating in inclusive activities, and becoming part of the change to create a truly inclusive community.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Participate in one of our events
- 3/6 Parent Transition Academy: If you are a parent or guardian of a middle or high school student with a disability, this event is for you! Presented in partnership with other local organizations, this FREE seminar is a must for families preparing for the transition to adulthood.
- 3/16 Inclusion Day: Wear ORANGE and show your inclusion pride. Take a pic, tag @SummitDD and post it to Facebook or Twitter. Let everyone know you believe that our communities are stronger when they include people of all abilities. #includeME (Get free downloads and more ideas to celebrate Inclusion Day.)
- 3/22 BLAST Night at the Movies: Join BLAST for at the Linda Theater on Goodyear Blvd. in Akron for a movie and some fun.
- 3/27 Appreciation Breakfast and Awards Celebration: Join Summit DD in celebrating the everyday heroes among us who make a difference in the lives of people with developmental disabilities. Each year, this awards celebration concludes DD Awareness Month by recognizing an individual with disabilities, a disability professional, a community leader and a partner in the community who are making an impact in the lives of others with disabilities.
Get involved online
- Read and share empowering stories from our blog.
- Join the conversation on our Twitter or Facebook page and share information with your followers.
- Sign up for our eNewletter informDD to be a leader of change here in the greater Akron area!
Be Part of the Change
Summit DD is the community resource that connects people with developmental disabilities to resources, supports and opportunities, but we need you to make lasting progress. This March, ask yourself if you are doing all you can to make your community welcoming for people of every ability. Help us celebrate DD Awareness Month and keep moving Summit County forward for all of its citizens.